ACCOMODATIONS: Yes, 152 rooms + 4 private villas
CAPACITY: Column Room 80 guests, Imperial Salon 210 guests
BOAT ACCESS: Yes
HOTELS NEARBY: Hilton Lake Como, Sheraton Lake Como,Grand Hotel Tremezzo
DISTANCE FROM COMO CITY CENTER: 7.3km
Villa D'Este, originally named Villa del Garovo, was built in 1568 as the summer residence of Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio and it is located in Cernobbio, just 15 minutes drive from the city center. The Villa extends on 25 acres of curated gardens and it has a prime position on the lake.
When Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio died, the villa passed to his family who allowed it to sink in decay. In 1784 it was bought by the Calderari family who started restoration projects at the villa and decided to refresh the gardens and create a nymphaeum as well as a temple. Villa D'Este passed in the hands of Vittoria Peluso, the wife of Calderari and ballerina at La Scala di Milano.
In 1815, it became the residence of Caroline of Brunswick that gave it the name Nuova Villa d'Este. The villa was transformed into a deluxe hotel for the nobility in 1873.
Villa d’Este is one of Lake Como’s most important and exclusive Villas. It is home of International events such as the Concorso d'Eleganza which is a classic car show.